Friday, December 2, 2016

B's 18th

18 years ago today, I was laying in a hospital bed with my second daughter. When I realized that I was pregnant with her, I wondered how I would love another human being as much as my first born. Little did I realize that it was easy. Your heart grows and you love the second one just as much as the first one. I am sure if I was blessed with more children,  it would be the same: my heart would just keep growing. 

I have read what I have written about you, B,  for the past 8 years and nothing much has changed. You still get my sense of humor and have actually adopted it for yourself. You are still a leader (hmm, captain of 2 swim teams). You still sing any chance you get (yes, I listen when you don't think I am. Please don't stop). You are still compassionate and kind and I love hanging with you and your friends. 

So B, all I have to offer is advice for your future. You have college to look forward to and whether or not your shoulders give up on you, you will still make wonderful memories. People gravitate toward you because you are fun to be around. You are polite, smart and caring. You sing like an angel and I hope you will always treasure that gift. And it is a gift; one that I was not blessed with, but appreciate so very much. So, whether you decide to teach Kindergarteners, walk on the moon or be a neuroscientist, I hope you will sing your way through every day. 

Know that I love you very much. You'll be surprised to know I have tears right now (haha). Know that I love every adventure and car ride we go on. And please know that I would give you the world if I could. The great thing is, whatever I cannot give you, I know that you will go out and get yourself. 

Happy Birthday Cookie
Love, Mama


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said Sue.

Unknown said...

Beautiful !
Lots of Love
Laure