Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Paris, part trois (3)

Yesterday, funny, today more of the landmarks. By the way, the ice cream I had in Paris was white chocolate and my mom had mango something or other. I always go for some sort of chocolate!
The Eiffel Tower encased in smog. Nice, huh? Because it was so warm there, the skies were not clear most of the time in the city.

This is Sacre Couer. I had the best cardio workout there for 5 euros. First I had to climb a bunch of stairs to get to the church. Then, I thought I would check out the crypt. Yeah, so I was willing to scare myself. They weren't open though, but the towers were. I paid about $8 to hike (and I mean HIKE) up hundreds of stairs in narrow turrets with no windows. Where was my traveling partner you ask? Bellied up to a cafe having a beer, I mean expresso. The view from the top was pretty cool though.

This is one of the beautiful windows in Notre Dame. Yes, as in hunchback, Quasimodo, Notre Dame. It is truly a beautiful church. The detail is amazing! Of course when we were outside the church, I had to tell my mom about how when I stayed in a nearby hostel 20 years before, my friends and I went to a liquor store and bought beer. Of course, we weren't smart enough to buy twist off caps, so spent some time trying to pry the tops off using the gates around Notre Dame. She was impressed.(Um, not really).

The most beautiful place we went to was a town called Giverny (pronounced gee-ver-knee). This is the view looking out of Claude Monet's upstair's bedroom at his gardens. They were breathtakingly beautiful! The garden had some beautiful Wisteria, too.
But my Mom's all time favorite picture is this one I took in the garden of the Rodin museum. She thinks this will be she and my Dad in another 50 years or so....
So that concludes your tour of Paris. Please feel free to send me some money so I can go again and you can live vicariously through my trip! I'll even send you a postcard! Or if you want to go in 9 years when I turn 50, we can rent a big house in the south of France and explore that end of the country!

6 comments:

Laski said...

Awesome pics. I'll try not be jealous. Nope. Not working . . .

Tootsie Farklepants said...

So incredible. Even with the smog. And how sweet is that couple?

Melisa Wells said...

JEALOUS! (me)

Suburbia said...

Oh Giverney.....it's soooo long since I've been there I'd almost forogten about it! It was truly beautifl. I'd love to go again one day.

Jules said...

I'm picking the 9 year plan. We could have SO much fun! Did I tell you that I speak French? Oui, oui. Allons!

Wineplz said...

wow...that was gorgeous.

and you could've said that was fog instead of smog...I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. ;)