Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Raising Strong Girls

I attended a fabulous class today led by Dr. Karol Maybury. It was called Raising Strong Girls and you can check out her website here. And she just started a blog that we can all comment on, here.

This class is essential (my opinion) if you have a daughter or daughters. Today we talked about our hopes and dreams for our girls. Then we talked about our fears for our girls. (frightening!) Out of the 6 women in the class, I knew 5 extremely well which made for a great conversation. Today I ran off to Borders to buy Queen Bees and Wannabees by Rosalind Wiseman, The Talk by Sharon Maxwell,  Women Who Run With the Wolves, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes and Mommies Who Drink by Brett Paesel (but that was not because of this class, but because the title hit home a little). 

I will keep you posted on the class for the next few weeks. I thought I was doing ok as a mom during the class and was able to offer up stories and suggestions freely. Then, K, had a tantrum all the way to the orthodontist's office this afternoon which made me rethink every parenting technique I have ever tried. Ooh she was brutal and all I wanted to do was pull over and let her out. 

Maybe I should get to work on my reading.

3 comments:

Caution/Lisa said...

Maybe I need to read, too. My 13 year old is a sweet girl, but IMPOSSIBLE. Maybe it's the age, but I really feel like I am failing in every way with her. Now off to check out that website.

scargosun said...

I still throw tantrums. I think we all do. Maybe it's our strength channeled in the wrong way. ;)

Sarah Clapp said...

I'M SO GLAD YOU SAID THAT! My son is 5 and has them from time to time, and I think it must be that 1) he's the only one who has them at that age, and 2) I'm a doing something wrong. So when I hear other children do it, it makes me feel so much better. Like I'm not alone.

PS. I like what scargosun said about thinking it's a way of channeling out strenght in a "wrong way". It's brillant thought!