Monday, November 8, 2010

Sunday Suppah: Not for the Weak Minded

I love the game Scrabble. I used to play it with my Grandmother as a kid and she would whoop my ass. The girls and I actually have a pink board and have fun playing together.

I have decided that Sunday Suppers are very similar to Scrabble. My mom, dad, sister, brother in law, baby R and the girls and I get together for dinner most every Sunday night. Sometimes other people are added in, but we are the core group.

The conversation is not for the weak and by the end of dinner, my dad (I think happily) escapes to do the dishes, Dave wanders over to the couch and even K will leave the table due to homework (or facebook). In Scrabble, you add words to other words that only have a letter in common. At dinner, the conversation flies in many different directions with only a thought or word in common.

I will give you an example, although this is not totally accurate, because no one can remember the entire conversation unless they transcribe it off of a tape recorder.

"The baby has been fussy and not sleeping like she should. I am sure it is because I went to Boston last night."
"Yeah, how was the movie? And Tommy and Jenn?"
"Movie was good, we didn't win any of the giveaways. Jenn is not coming for Thanksgiving."
"Oh that's too bad. What do you want to bring to Thanksgiving dinner anyway?"
"Whenever I think of Thanksgiving, I think of Christmas and we haven't decided how we are doing presents this year."
"I got a funny bridezilla voodoo doll as a present from Amy at her party last night."
"Did you see Jeff at the party?"
"Yes I did, the meeting went for 3 1/2 hours."

One thought leads to another. Who needs crossword puzzles or Sudoku to keep the mind sharp? Just come on over for a Sunday dinner and if you can follow the conversation, your mind is OK.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

How come I am not surprised ? Was already that way, if I remember (even though the subjects were different ;-p)
Laure

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Heh...you should hear the conversations between my hubby and I. We've been told we make people's heads spin as we tend to leave out details that are common knowledge to us, but to others it sounds like we're talking in half sentences! Seems family should be that way! :)

Anonymous said...

No wonder we have to have Tums on the dinner table! No wonder it is hard to marry into our family! Yes, grandma did whip your ass in scrabble but also in checkers and whatever game. You all worked for your wins! Nana

Caution/Lisa said...

I had NO trouble following that conversation! Now, what does that say about me?

Anonymous said...

Is it kind of like the story If you give a mouse a cookie? If you have never read the book(s) then just nod your head =)

Melisa Wells said...

That is hilarious, and I would love to be a part of that. I'll be there Sunday.

(I WISH!)

Golden Daily Scoop said...

This is my first time on your blog, just wanted to say hi! Sunday dinners sound like a lot of fun! Sounds like mine only there would have been a whole lot of interrupting by the kiddos! :)

Tara R. said...

My daughter and I can have those stream of consciousness conversations, we call it our 'Six Degrees of Separation.' Drives my husband crazy.

Mrs4444 said...

That's funny. My mom and her sisters used to play Scrabble for hours with my grandma. I never got into it, but I admired their enthusiasm for it :)

My students have the random part down but usually fail to connect their comments to what's going on in the room. I'm forever furrowing my eyebrows and saying, "What are you talking about?!"