Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Good news

Amazing. 

Last night was simply amazing. No matter who you were voting for, yesterday was a day to remember. My sister in law and I worked a bake sale to support the school's jumprope team at the polling booth. It was absolutely amazing to see the amount of people that turned out to vote. Young and old, healthy and not so, men and women, every color and every size. The lines were out the door of the polling spot. Never before had I seen anything like it. It was inspiring! And then to have an African American win the presidency was just unbelievable. I kept wondering if Martin Luther King Jr. was jumping for joy in heaven.

Then came this morning when K woke up and her foot still hurt from stepping out of the car yesterday afternoon and hearing something "pop". Nothing swelled last night, nothing bruised, but she couldn't put weight on it. This morning, I didn't want to fool around and took her to the ER for xrays. Of course, this meant B came with us because she is pre-med in 4th grade. Her goal in life is to break something so she can get xrays and a cast. This was second best. 

We were there for 2 1/2 hours. K did have a small crack in her metatarsal bone. She did wind up getting crutches and a boot and an appt. with an orthopedic. The amazing thing was watching the ER staff and what they go through in a typical day.

These are ordinary people doing an extraordinary job. Ambulances came in every 15 minutes or so, one person had to be med flighted to Boston, many people had xrays. One older woman was dressed all up and had a broken wrist from a fall, but was joking with the EMTs. My girls learned that there is a special charcoal mixture that people have to drink when they take a lot of drugs and won't tell the staff what they were. We saw one man who had come in because he had been found on the sidewalk. One very older woman had an oxygen mask on. Then there was the code blue that came in with staff doing cpr on him to try to save his life. Unfortunately, despite their valiant efforts, this man lost his battle. I heard them time his death and saw the body bag. The girls did not know he didn't make it. They were busy praying for him and looking in the opposite direction so they couldn't see what I could see. 

We were in the hallway, because we were not an emergency and were just waiting to have K's xrays read. That is how we were in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the ER. 

It certainly made me give thanks for our simple problem and the energy and efforts of these ER people just "doing their job". 

Simply amazing.

4 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

I've spent WAY too many days in the er. They are amazing people. truly.

Sarah Clapp said...

Glad your girl is going to be OK!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Yes, M&M's do cause thigh disasters. It's a proven fact.

And that balloon story is NOT funny - it's traumatic.

And I did NOT talk about our XXX-ploits. I would never do that! :)

Hallie

Caution/Lisa said...

You know how I got Checkered to help? By going to work in the evenings. I would come home and find everything a mess: dinner still on the table, no homework done, no one in bed EXCEPT THE DAD! After my 15th million screaming frenzy, he started to do some things IF I told him exactly what to do. And then? Only one or two of them get done. I am very kind in my blog is all I'm saying :))