Monday, November 9, 2009

Happy Holidays.....

I had to look back in my blog to see if I had written about the subject of Christmas in my family before, and oddly I haven't. Weird, I know. Yes, it is the beginning of November and we have been talking Christmas up in my house for months. Just for the record, we are not as bad as a friend of mine who's mother in law talks up Thanksgiving 13 months ahead of schedule!

Yes, I am one of those shoppers who often times starts Christmas shopping for the next year at the day after Christmas sales. Yes, I love Black Friday and hunt for the best bargains in the Thanksgiving day flyers instead of taking the typical turkey day nap. I don't mind Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I just love the time of the year that is Christmas.

However, my family is turning it into a rule run episode. Of course, my entire family will read this and there will be hell to pay, but I am throwing it out to you, my blog family to aid and assist. With my Mom's side of the family, we have a name draw. We are allowed to spend (I think this year it was dropped to $30) so much on the person's name we have. Unfortunately, for the past few years, we have not all gotten together around the holidays, so the opening has been done over the phone.

Then we have the stocking draw in my immediate family. It is fun, we each have one person that we spend $10 on and there is usually a theme involved. Sometimes you have to shop for a certain color, other times something that rhymes with their name, this year something that begins with their name. We have fun, we laugh and it is always amusing.

Then we have the name draw with the immediate family for one gift up to $100. This is where the major trouble comes into play. Some of us are crafty, some of us want to buy for everyone and some of us feel that $100 on one person is too much pressure. The emails between family members having been flying like wildfire for the past month! That's right month and I still don't think that we have a good answer. My brother's girlfriend even jumped into the melee today (God Bless Her). Because of her 2 cents, she bought herself the privilege of saying grace at dinner.

Help stop the insanity! Tell us what you do for Christmas or Hanukkah (Melisa). Our family needs help and is losing the real value of Christmas which is the eating, I mean the togetherness of family and friends!

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

12 comments:

Justine said...

Heeheehee... you're cracking me up. Why are you guys doing all that stocking and secret santa crapola? And how on earth do you buy things that start with the person's name??? Just buy for everyone, I say!

Justine :o )

Melisa Wells said...

Hmm, a friend who's MIL talks about Thanksgiving 13 months in advance? I wonder who that is!

I bet she's pretty though. :)

I can't imagine having so many rules at the holiday time...ugh.

I do know a couple of people who do "family draws" and buy "family gifts", like a night out at the movies and stuff like that.

For Hanukkah, this year we're scaling way back. Last year we bought the boys new phones in addition to their other stuff, but I think I'm going to try to stretch $150 each (or less) over the 8 days. I'd rather give them smaller things. One night, as a yearly tradition, is a night where instead of an actual gift, we go to a movie or a show as a family (Fab Five: My sister comes too!).

Heather said...

I love that you guys do those draws & such-- It makes it easier to buy if you have a big family. That being said, I have no advice for you. I think One S has some good ideas as far as movies, things of that nature ;)

xo

WeaselMomma said...

My family is pretty spread out and we don't have any rules. You can buy and ship or not buy at all. No expectations what so ever. I like it.

Caution/Lisa said...

Our families (sibs and their kids) don't exchange gifts anymore. Other than our kids, Keith and I don't buy for anyone other than my parents. We ended up with things we didn't need or want and felt pressured to spend $$ we didn't have. It sounds cold, but seems to work for us all.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

We buy for everyone. Which is why my list is 45+ people long. And I love it. I love every freakin' minute of the crazy holiday.

Hallie :)

Anonymous said...

Oh good. We are not alone!! After much back & forth we have finally decided: immediate original family (my parents and my 4 siblings) pick 1 name for stocking & spend $45. Then for gifts all the adults pick 1 name and have a $75 gift limit. Kids all just get presents as usual. This is scaled back from last year when we would pick 2 names for gifts. I just think it gets out of hand and none of us *need* anything thankfully. I have a big family and it always feels a little excessive. Hopefully next year we will scale back more. Focus on the kiddies and the food I say and buy a toy or two for a child in need. :) Kerry

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm a Secret Santa SLACKER just stopping by to say Hello.

Fishchick Photog said...

Yikes Christmas stress. Too many rules and so much pressure. Make it easy on yourself Maybe have a giant dinner to celebrate the holidays, invite everyone in your family to come and and tell them to bring or send a gift for a needy family to given in your family's name. Then just take care of your children and parents.

k a t i e said...

Fish chick had a great idea - if you don't all 'need' something, why not club together and spend say half what your budget was for each person on a small trinket, and put the other monies towards donating to a charity or someone else who could benefit. My girlfriends and I often give money to the RSPCA, where we work, because there's a puppy needing a feed more than I need another manicure set.

Anonymous said...

as part of this crazy family I have to say we should all try harder to be together and I still thinking buying a cow from the heifer project is the best idea ever.....We lost...

Mrs4444 said...

In my family, we just buy for those we are close to and forget about the rest. Weird, I suppose, but at least it's honest and sincere. Our only rule is that we only buy something if we are inspired--no gifts out of obligation. I love it. As for your issue...I have no idea!! Sorry.