Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Once Upon a Time Wednesday....

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun! So if you want to join along, please link up on the bottom and share a little piece of your history with the rest of us!

Once upon a time, we spent many a vacation day at my grandparent's house on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. I wrote about the bat problem they had here. I was hanging pictures this week and hung this one up of my sister and me. It was taken at the Lake in 1972, which means I was 5 and she was 6 months or so.



I love this picture although I have no memory of having it taken. It shows the black boat in the background that evidently my dad owned, but kept it at my grandparents. It had sweet red vinyl interior. Any time that I smell boat gas now, it transports me right back to this boat. We used to go waterskiing off the back of it. It would scare the crap out of me when I fell and was bobbing around in the middle of the lake. I wasn't scared of other boats, I was scared of the unknown fish and things that could be eyeing my legs as a snack.

We had strict rules for the dock. No going on if no one else was on it. And if someone was on it, we had to stop at the edge of the grass and ask if it was ok if we came on. With the help of my Grandfather, we would steal bacon out of the fridge and bait hooks with it instead of trying to find icky worms. (My Grandmother was never pleased when we did this!) We would fish off the end of the dock and catch 4 inch fish.

As we got older, we would dive off the dock. Depending on how much rain there had been and the level of the lake depended on how shallow the dives were. We also used to float around on truck tire inner tubes that were huge! You just had to be careful not to get caught on the nozzle where you blew them up because it would hurt.

I love how one picture can bring back so many memories. Do you have any pictures like that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your stories! Here is the boat story. They bought the house, we bought the boat to bearth at the dock. Great deal for us! I love the picture and that you remembered the dock rules! Nana :)

Caution/Lisa said...

I went to camp a couple of times at a place on Lake Winnipesaukee. Wow. I hadn't thought of that place in years. I think we had to ride a mail boat to get to camp. That surely was a LONG time ago.

WeaselMomma said...

Those are such sweet and wonderful memories. Thank you.

Mrs4444 said...

I don't have any pics like that, but I do have some great memories of Lake Winnepesauke, believe it or not! When Kyle was a brand new baby, my in-laws rented a cabin on that lake, and we spent a weekend there with them. It was really a random place to go, since we lived in the Albany, NY area at the time. I remember it well, but only because Kyle cried constantly. Probably not as much fun as you had...