Thursday, October 14, 2010

Once Upon a Time Wednesday....

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun! So if you want to join along, please link up on the bottom and share a little piece of your history with the rest of us!

Once upon a time, when the girls were little, we would take many trips back and forth to my parents' house (2hrs away). We didn't have a DVR in the car. There was a lot of looking out the window, looking at books, snacking and playing with magnets on a cookie sheet. Once and awhile, all my tricks would be for naught and I would have to kick the floor of the car and say that Big Bird landed on the roof. The girls would get very excited and Big Bird would continue to make a fuss on the roof of the car. Then we would look out the window, into the woods trying to find the rest of the Sesame Street gang.

Monday was a day off from school, so the girls and I took little dude to a really cool playground about 20 minutes away. On the way home, little dude was tired, so B told him to look out the window while she hit the ceiling of the car and announced that Big Bird was on the roof of the car. He was hooked and I was stunned that the girls remembered this little trick. When we got back to little dude's house, he looked up on the roof to see if Big Bird was still there. We told him that he had gone back to Sesame Street.

Sure enough, when I picked him up Tuesday morning, he looked up on the roof to see if Big Bird had returned. I love that we have another generation of imaginary car riders!

3 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Remember those days of entertainment! Before electronics took over our kids!

Karol Maybury said...

Great story!! This afternoon at work I was writing my October newsletter.. about family rituals, and what our children remember. I will remember this for some future time. But this story makes me smile, and miss you anew.

Mrs4444 said...

I love that story! Very creative and sweet :)