Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Once Upon a Time Wednesday....

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun!  Play along if you want!

Once upon a time, when the girls were little, we would call farts, "toots". It seemed a lady like thing to call gas from your nether regions. "Toot" also put a cute spin on a smell that was nowhere similar to roses. Over time, they enjoyed the word "fart" more, probably because that is what their cooler and older boy cousins proudly called gas.

When I was little, my parents called farts "heinie-sneezes". Now, to me, my dad was very worldly because he traveled a lot for work. I assumed this was the german word for fart.* I used it freely and frequently thinking that I was so smart.

It did not occur to me until FRESHMAN YEAR IN COLLEGE what the word really meant: a sneeze from your butt. I don't know if we said it so fast that it became just one word in our house or what. I just never really thought it out. Now, I can't say it without laughing which is probably why I stuck with the word "toot" for the girls.

*Melisa, feel free to share that one with Kat :)

6 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

love it too funny!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I am so using "heinie-sneezes" from now on! It's too funny! I can totally see why that would sound like a word! LOL

Michelle said...

Hilarious. I love it. And me? I STILL use toot and always will because the f word is one that I just .... don't like. There are lots of words I don't like to say.

LOVE the heinie sneezes though.

Donna said...

That is so funny! We call them "toots" over here too, but my 5-year-old son much prefers "farts." I think "heinie-sneezes" is the best name for them!

Jill Meyer said...

I am laughing so hard right now. My husband always rags on me for enjoying potty humor, but I can't help it. My grandmother called farts crackerjacks. Ha!

Marilyn Adams said...

Hey girl!
Wanted to thank you and your mom for thinking of me. Bad spots all gone and sassy as usual! You guys make me smile! Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Mac Adams