Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Beach'n It

I realized yesterday that I have an age chart for going to the beach. I knew you would want to see it....

Age birth-20: Go to the beach with family/neighborhood. Maybe sit a little apart from them, but basically mom makes lunch and you are close enough to hear neighborhood gossip. Sunscreen: Coppertone spf4.

21-30: Go with girlfriends or boyfriends depending on the day. Still go in water and make the occasional sandcastle. Bring beer. Also bring first aid kit, especially after friend has run in with seagull while trying to pee in the dunes. Sunscreen: Ban de Soleil spf 4.

30-43: Go to beach with kids. Run around. Don't bother to bring book. Bring enough food for the entire beach. Don't bother laying a towel on the sand because it will have footprints on it in no time. Spend a lot of time standing ankle deep in water watching kids "swim".
Sunscreen: Cheapest at spf 8.

43-?: Yesterday marks the first time I went to the beach BY MYSELF. Girls went off with their Dad. I had the choice of cleaning the house or reading my book on the beach working on my savage tan (um, spf 30). Beach won out. Very weird laying by myself, eavesdropping on beach neighbors, waiting for an umbrella to launch in the wind and watching 20 something boys play rugby in front of me.

This new stage may take awhile to get used to...

8 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

sounds nice, though. Did you get some good pics?

Liz@thisfullhouse said...

Actually, I would have loved to be sitting next to you (you know how much I absolutely ADORE the cape) and, yeah, did you get some pics of the Rugby boys...I mean...beach?!?

Tara R. said...

Saturday's are mine. The boy hangs out with Dad and I take off for the beach, or for a hike. It's nice being able to have some alone time. Have fun on your next beach trip.

Unknown said...

okay i am coming to visit...then we can sit together and watch 20somethings play rugby...and call ourselves mrs robinson or cougars or....

Melisa Wells said...

Ooh, that sounds NICE! I bet you'll get used to it quickly. :)

Claudya Martinez said...

Going to the beach sounds way better than cleaning.

SurprisedMom said...

Beach vs cleaning? Beach, every time. However, if I went to the beach I would have to be covered head to toe, lying under a big umbrella. My skin gets a hint of sun and I'm red all over. SPF 50+

Heather said...

oh, the beach. how i miss it.