Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1, 2010

“One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: to rise above the little things.”

―John Burroughs


This is the quote of the day from Real Simple. It fits my day. I was thinking that I needed a re-do of the first day of the year because it didn't turn out quite the way it was suppose to.

I had expectations for today. It is after all the first day of the new year and the new decade.

This is going to be MY year. It is going to ROCK! That is what I woke up saying to myself this morning.

Then the washing machine hose came out of the washing machine while it was full of soapy water. Oh, did I mention that the washer and dryer are upstairs? Yeah, I haven't done much laundry this vacation week and was just getting ready for a slew of laundry. The clean laundry was on the floor in front of the machines. Yup, soaked. Along with the wall to wall carpet, along with every towel I could put my hands on.

Matt happened to be here and was able to put the hose back on the washer. I bundled up a bunch of wet towels to take to our rental house to double up on my washing. I had to take Matt's truck. I left the radio on while running in the house which killed his battery (which was on it's way out anyway). He had to come over and jump the truck with my car.

I went to a lovely party with the girls and had made beef stew in my new crock pot. Delish, right? Of course it was, but the crock pot was so full that some sloshed over in my trunk. Mmmm, that will smell good for awhile, right?

All this caused me to be a bit crabby. (The girls would say, very crabby).

But, I came home, looked at my quote of the day and have decided to adopt this resolution.

I think this is actually one I can keep.

11 comments:

Justine said...

O.M.G. The washer situation would have sent me over the edge! If you've got carpet that got wet, you'd either better pull it up or get a professional service in there to get it all dry or you'll wind up with mold!!!!

Waaaaaaaaaa... you poor thing! Let's pretend New Year's day is tomorrow, k?

Justine :o )

KK said...

I have wine :) AND I love you!

Unknown said...

Goodness...yes a glass of wine and reading that quote would do it for me...
Hope your Jan 2nd is better!

Melisa Wells said...

Sounds like it's a good evening to crack open a bag of M&Ms.

xoxo

Eternal Lizdom said...

Lovely quote and a great reminder... don't sweat the small stuff... and it's all small stuff! :)

Happy New Year!

Vodka Mom said...

I love that quote..........

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, what a day. Whoa.
It can only get better, right??
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, what a day. Whoa.
It can only get better, right??
Happy New Year!

WeaselMomma said...

On a positive note, it looks like you got all the years crap out of the way in 1 short day and the rest of the year should be smooth sailing.

Captain Dumbass said...

Like Weasel Momma said, at least you got rid of a boat load of bad stuff early on. You should be crusing for the rest of the year.

Happy New Year.

xxxx said...

That is a GREAT quote! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to do it :)