Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Discretion? Hmm, not here.

I am a born and bred New Englander. That means that I have the strict morals of the Puritans. Synonyms of puritanical are prim, prissy, prudish and square toed (huh, never heard that one before)*. Keep this in mind before you read my story.....

B recently changed pools for her swim lessons just to see if she liked one pool/gym better than the other. We have gone 2xs to the new place. The ladies locker room is lovely. Very nicely decorated, couches, tv, big hot tub, steam room, sauna, big showers... you get the picture. Last night, K, decided that she was going to come sit in the hot tub while B was swimming away in the pool. I gave her the heads up that this was a very naked locker room. I don't think she believed me.

So I get B set up in the pool and come back to the locker room. K is not undressed yet. A woman walked over the hot tub in a bathing suit and gets in. K decides that she does not want to get in with said woman. She decides to go for the steam room. As she is in the steam room, another woman comes into the locker room and starts undressing while talking to hot tub woman. What I could gather was that they were both teachers in their late 40s/early 50s. Not supermodels by anyone's standpoint.

K comes out of the steam room with her eyes bugging out of her head. I cannot see the hot tub from my vantage point, but peer around the wall to get a visual on the 2 women, who's conversation I can clearly hear. They are both butt naked. This means that the first woman who got into the hot tub with her bathing suit on, actually took it off while in the hot tub.

Um, ewwww!

Is it just me or is being naked in a public hot tub gross? Maybe the problem is that I am so NOT comfortable in my own skin that to stand around a locker room carrying on a conversation while naked would be something of a nightmare to me.

Listening to the girls relaying the story to my mom on the phone the minute we left the gym, makes me believe that being a puritanical New Englander is genetic.

*Thank you dictionary.com for those synonyms. I swear my toes aren't square.

13 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

It's not just you. That is DISGUSTING. I mean, really, the bathing suit doesn't protect the water from body germs or...ugh...anything else, but I have never heard of anyone stripping down in a public hot tub unless it's at one of those European bath places, in which case EVERYONE would be naked, right?

Inappropriate, supermodel or not.

Anonymous said...

I obviously brought you up right! UGH!!!! What if a student of one of those teachers were in there? Can you imagine the stories at school the next day? Puritanical is a good thing. Love, Nana

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

No idea what's right or wrong but damn, was this funny!!!! I love the visuals!!

Oh and just for the record, I am NOT EVER going into a hot tub naked with strangers. I will ALWAYS believe that my thin piece of material covering my hoo-haa somehow turns into teflon and deflects all the cooties!!

Hallie :)

Together We Save said...

Ohhh.... gross. But very funny!!

Tara R. said...

Nope, I'm with you. Nekkid public hot tubbing is kinda sketchy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Justine said...

Wait... this is a gym, like where women go to work out? And they're getting NAKED in the HOT TUB? The steam room I can see, if they're covering their bits with towels. But in the hot tub? That's just ridiculous. Have you asked the management if this is even allowed?
Justine :o )

WeaselMomma said...

That's not puritanical at all. I have no want to see naked women in any venue, not do I think that most would want to see me. Politeness is never puritanical, not to mention there is plenty to be said for privacy.

Wendi said...

Ewwwwww!!!
That is all I have to say about that.

sandy shoes said...

Huh. I'm surprised it's even allowed, in a public place.

But I'm going to go against the grain of your comments and say, honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about nakedness. Sheesh.

Mrs4444 said...

Wow-Your mom had a good point. Good thing I never go to the gym, haha.

Claudya Martinez said...

I'm not from New England, but after reading this post I think I might be square toed.

Lifeofkaylen said...

Ew, that's like crawling in the bathtub with a stranger. GROSS!