Saturday, May 24, 2008

4 Years and Counting!

I went with my mom to her annual check up with her breast cancer Dr. yesterday. 4 years and she is (knock on wood) cancer free! I had not been to Dana Farber with her before yesterday. My Dad was getting 20 yards of loam, a man on a bobcat and my brother yesterday, so he passed the torch to me. Let me just say that Dana Farber knows how to treat a patient. Other Dr.s out there, especially my GYN Dr, whom I love to pieces, but could take a few pointers on waiting rooms, listen up!
She had a 10:00 mamo and an 11:00 meeting with her Dr. The hallway to the mamo office was all Red Sox. (Hey, we like the Red Sox, ok, worship the Red Sox, here in Boston.) Very cool. There was also this cool cow in the lobby of the parking garage.
For some reason, I am not able to download the cool pictures of the Red Sox walls. Must be a Yankee's fan putting a curse on my phone. So the women in the mamo office, couldn't have been nicer or quicker! She was in and out in 30 minutes total and was told she was tumor free right away! I am thinking of my mamo office where, yes the people are nice, but I am there for 2 hours!! Plus, I sit in a crowded room with lots of ladies in various stages of dress, mostly paper johnnies. UGH.
So then up to the Dr's office we go. We check in and sit in the waiting room. Hello!.....but what do I see, SNACKS! Yup, chips, popcorn, granola bars, water, coffee and on the counter a big bowl of Jolly Ranchers. We didn't have time to finish our shared bag of popcorn before she was called in by the nurse. Weight, blood pressure, off to Dr's room. 2 mins later, nurse comes in and asks some questions and tells my mom to put on gown. OK, here was our longest wait of the day.... maybe 7 minutes before the DR came bouncing in! She weighs about 95 lbs soaking wet and is so cute and talked the entire time!
We were checking out of the parking garage at 11:30. Totally unbelievable. So we celebrated with a trip to Crate and Barrel and a delicious lunch at the Rustic Kitchen. I did take a pic of my mom's avacado and crab salad because it was so fancy and cute, but once again my phone is hogging it and won't share with me.
So a great day, not just because I got to share it with my mom, but the good news that went along with it! Hope you all have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend! I will try to catch up on visiting your blogs, it has been a very busy week!

13 comments:

scargosun said...

Whoo hoo! Four years! That's wonderful! Congrats to your Mom. I will be getting my first mamo this year and heaing about your experience, I think I'll take a robe. :)

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Ha, a robe and a BOOK, if it's anything like my place! And mamos don't feel too much like a car driving over your boobs either.

KathyLikesPink said...

Wow great news. I will keep your mom in my prayers. And what fun, a day in Boston! Good weather too.

Wineplz said...

congrats to your mom!!! that's great news!

I love an efficient doctor's office. My family doctor is like that...I go in with an illness and I'm back in my car in like 25 minutes, diagnosis and Rx in-hand (and I don't feel like I was rushed).
Kids' pediatrician and hubby's doctor, and my OB-GYN however, take FOREVER!!! Makes me think they all over-schedule, like airlines overbooking flights.

Wineplz said...

oh, and is that cow one of the cows that used to be in Chicago?

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/cows_on_parade.htm

Jenn's finding life funny! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn's finding life funny! said...

SNACKS??!! Cool, I am there.

COOLER, that your mom is still cancer free. That is wonderful!
Thanks for stopping by my "place" too.

Jules said...

Yay! Thank goodness your mom's okay!
I' think I'm in love with her doctor's scheduler, though.

Anonymous said...

I can highly recommend Dana Farber. I hardly ever wait for my Drs there. The gyn is another story but he is so cute, he is worth the wait. Sue and I had a great day and got home before the Memorial Day traffic to the cape.

Anonymous said...

That's the best kind of news. Yeah for your mom!!! (and the people who know how to run an office!)

Wendi said...

Congratulations to your Mom...that is great news!
Yay for an organized, efficient doctors office. Those are hard to come by.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day!!!

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

FOUR years! WOW! That is wonderful for your Mom!

cancersucks said...

Your mom's story inspires me. I am getting anxious...my one year diagnosis date is coming up on June 18th. Glad to hear the doctor's visit was a pleasant one. Cheers!