Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tears on My Pillow

Ask anyone and they would tell you I am a pretty together person. I use humor to diffuse situations and am very laid back whether in crisis mode or not. That all changed today by a few Littlest Pet Shop animals.

My house needs to be cleaned out for the rental season that is quickly approaching. I do not think at the end of the summer we will move back in to this house as usual, because we just cannot afford both houses. So I am really trying to clean out closets etc... because our other house is smaller. So under the eaves today, I pulled out bins of Groovy Girls, Baby Dolls (and clothing), blocks and the Littlest Pet Shop animals. Oh yeah, and lots of stuffed animals! I have a really hard time throwing away stuffed animals. They look up at you with those cute furry faces, UGH. So I put them in a box, hoping to find a shelter or something that needs them. The bin of Groovies smelled horrible, so I threw them away. (If they hadn't smelled, I would have had a problem throwing them away too). I boxed up tons of Littlest Pet paraphenalia, but saved the animals. I figured the girls could pick 15 each or so to save.

So sorting was fine. The thing that brought tears to my eyes is that the girls don't play with these things anymore. They used to play for hours upon hours making up little stories, having weddings, babies, etc..., but now, not so much. I used to bring them home LPS animals as little gifts if I had been to Target. I searched high and low for certain animals. The whole thing of them growing up started to get to me. My poor mom was the one to call while I was feeling so sad, so she got the melt down of tears.

I knew this day was coming. In Toys R Us about a month ago, they couldn't find anything that they really wanted. I was floored! OK, they found things for over $50, but nothing in the under $20 category. When I was talking about adding on to our other house, my husband said, "Why, the girls will be going to college and living on their own in about 8 years." Talk about a punch in the gut.

So, if anyone sees me out in my sunglasses for the next week or so, please understand. I still have to go through the Barbies, Polly Pockets and Fisher Price doll house stuff.

18 comments:

KathyLikesPink said...

OH this hits so close to home. I found that very hard when Darling Daughter was in her mid-elementary years. Then I got tired of it underfoot and it was easier. I donated a bunch to our church fair they have a 'toy room'.

In my recent attic clear out I got rid of a ton of toys, BUT - I still kept one rubbermaid tub of the nicer things, that I envision grandkids playing with at some point. Also, I am NOT giving up, ever, the Fisher Price family doll house. Even if I have to put it in my OWN room to save it!

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

My oldest is FIVE and I know/feel your pain. It all goes by much too fast!

p.s. we went to BRUNSWICK! So cute!

MsFish said...

Oh Suzie....Hopefully someday I will have a place for you to put those "well loved" toys. :)

OHmommy said...

Our LPS animals went to an ice cream shop today. They each got wildly different flavors and toppings.

My kids are young... thanks for the reminder to sit down and enjoy all of the fun $20 toys with them. ;)

Anonymous said...

It's not easy being a mommy but very rewarding. :) YAM

Buford Betty said...

Awww! My pups have grown up so fast so I can't even imagine how fast the years with your kids fly by! I'm sure it is so bitter sweet. Sad to see the growing up, but exciting to look to the fun times ahead.

Melisa Wells said...

We are actually going to go through our toy storage area in the next few weeks to have a gigantic toy-based garage sale this summer...even the LEGOs are going! Yikes! The boys agreed that--eek!--they just "don't play with toys anymore" (other than PS2).

*sniff sniff*

Don Mills Diva said...

It's wonderful but also heartbreaking to watch them grow isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I know. I really, really know.

scargosun said...

I can relate to the stuffed animals. I actually bought a stuffed kitty at the Christmas Tree Shops specifically b/c it had a small defect and I was worried no one would buy her. :(

I actually strated giving G-dog some of my stuffed animals b/c if they don't squeek, she doesn't rip them apart. It was kind of like passing them on. :)

Wineplz said...

you should try to keep a few things if you can...save them for future grandkids. My mom LOVED giving me some of her old toys and I can't wait to give my kids some of my old toys and books that I enjoyed and cherished so much!

Jenn's finding life funny! said...

Hi Suemyself.

I saw your post on Dawn's blogs & just decided to stop by your Blog. But now I am feeling a wee bit emotional. My only daughter is turning 10 in a few weeks & she too is growing out of her little toys time. I know that is what is suppose to happen, but it can be tough to think they are going to leave someday. (However, I won't miss cleaning my boys bathroom. Yikes!

Jenn's finding life funny! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cancersucks said...

I feel your pain! After my hysterectomy for cancer I couldn't bear to give anything babyish away. I made my hubby store our emmaljulnga bassinet and stroller for our grandkids. I just couldn't bear to get rid of. Those LPS could have brought you a pretty penny on ebay, though. Give it a try!!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Thanks you guys for all your sympathy. My DH doesn't understand sympathy.
QM- love Brunswick, did you go to Freeport. I went to college 20 mins from there!
Melisa, Don't sell all the legos, my brother still plays with his with my girls!
Scargo, My dog gets a bunch of the girl's stuffed animals too. She loves to sneak upstairs and "grab" them.
Don't worry, I won't get rid of somethings, so I can share them with my grandchildresn. How weird does that sound when my kids are 9 and 11?!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I'm feeling a little that way now with my daughter going off to kindergarten this August. I just don't understand how it went by so fast.

Anonymous said...

Found you through Tootsie, a LONG time friend. :-) I live north of Boston, close to the water.

DD will be a freshman at college this Sept. We're having a yard sale this summer, selling MANY of her toys.

I just can't seem to part w/ the the large box of stuffed animals or the Beanie Babies. The memories wrapped around both are too precious.

Anonymous said...

The Annonymous post is from me: Seachange