Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Donkey

This is an email that my mom forwarded to me. Hope you like it!



One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do.

Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey.

He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement he quieted down.

A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up.

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up.

Pret ty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off!

Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each

of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the
deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.

Remember the five simple rules to be happy:


1. Free your heart from hatred - Forgive.
2. Free your mind from worries - Most never happen.
3. Live simply and appreciate what you have.

4. Give more.
5. Expect less.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sue, this helped me tonight.
Liked your previous post, too.
Went to a Welcome to Middle School (6th grade) next year meeting tonight. It's going way too fast. Luckily I have four. And they all still like their LPS's. (well, except the 5th grader.)
It's the Little People I want to clear out of the attic this summer. Have to do it when they're not lookin' =)

Smile, it's the weekend, and it looks like the sun will shine in New England.

Jeff & Aleigh said...

That was awesome!!! I needed that today!! Thanks for sharing!! :o)

scargosun said...

Sue, my heart broke at the thought of burrying an animal alive so I had a hard time trying to get the last part of the story.

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

LOVE IT!

Thanks for your comment on my it's 4 the kids site!

:)Hugs!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Karla,
Love the Little People! I still pull them out at Christmas because we have the Christmas train and the nativity. My mom saved some of my Fisher Price toys! My kids were psyched when they found them! They were also amazed by how different they were then to what they are like now!
Aleigh thanks for stopping by!
Scargosun, Finish the story, no animals were hurt in this story!

Jules said...

That was really nice sue. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Sue - sorry, I missed this comment. My mom had saved some of our Fisher Price stuff, too. I had the yellow house and the garage and the wooden people with the little round heads that gave me anxiety to have my preschoolers play with - afraid they would bite off a head and choke on it?

My sister had the camper and the airport (<-- that thing was cool.)

Never saw the nativity or Christmas train. Are those old or new ones?

Have a nice Thursday!