Monday, July 26, 2010

Blogher10: My Advice

Seems as if everybody is doing it, so I thought I would jump in with my 2 cents.

My thoughts on Blogher (basically some tips to make your life easier).

Last year was my first year at Blogher and it was held in the Windy City of Chicago. This year Blogher is heading to NYC. I learned a lot last year. Here are the top 6 things you need to know!

1. Do NOT worry about what you are wearing. Stressing out about what to wear takes up a lot of my time, especially when I am going into unknown territory (AKA a city with people I have never met face to face). During the day, anything goes. Shorts, skirts, pants, pretty much anything but bathing suits. Actually one girl wore nothing, but that was more of a statement than a mode of dress. Comfortable shoes (flip flops, sneakers, crocs etc) are important because even though you are in a hotel, you are walking and standing and walking some more. It's nice to have something a little dressier for night time for some of the parties.

2. There are many sponsored parties to go to, but basically you had to sign up for them in April or May. There are plenty other parties to go to that do not require a RSVP that Blogher sponsors. Bring a nicer outfit incase you score tickets to a premier party with a celebrity that's in the fashion business. That's what happened to Melisa with one S and me last year. We scored last minute tickets to the Nikon party with Carson Kressley!




3. That leads me to the next point of going with the flow. Have a schedule in mind, but be prepared to alter it. One of my best memories of last year was skipping a session and going on a walk around the city with Melisa, Liz and Heather.




4. SWAG. Last year, being a newbie, and being amazed that people were throwing products at me, I may have gotten a little overzealous in my quest for the most swag. I wound up mailing my clothes home and carrying my swag in my suitcase. Yes, I had a whole suitcase full. The swag is there and there is lots of it. There is no need to be grabby.



5. Don't be afraid to meet people! We all have one thing in common and that is blogging. So what if you have 50 followers and someone else may have over 1000!? Step up and say HI! Just try not to tackle your blog idol (they might be a little nervous and call security).

Yes, that is Vodka Mom!!!


6. Bring business cards. You will be trading with bloggers, but also they are handy to drop in sponsors give away buckets.

You can read more Blogher ideas here, here and here....

9 comments:

Wineplz said...

fantastic tips!

Hope you guys have a blast...I'll miss ya and will be thinking of how to get there next year!

melissa said...

looking forward to seeing you!!

SurprisedMom said...

Have a great time at BlogHer! Great tips if I ever get to go!

Anonymous said...

So screaming like a teenage fans is out! Hmm what am I going to do with myself?!

Just kidding! :) great tips! Looking forward to meeting you.

Melisa Wells said...

Great tips!!

And I hate that dress that I was wearing, now that I see it. Why did you let me wear that? Sheesh!! :)

Liz@thisfullhouse said...

Tip #7: Poison ivy is NOT contagious...UGH!

Can't wait to hug ya' :)

Shell said...

I think I would have a panic attack at Blogher. Maybe one year I'll go.

Heather said...

I am so bummed I am not going-- but mainly cause you, me, Melisa & Liz can't recreate last years walk. One of my most favorite memories of last year. :)

xo

Vodka Mom said...

oh crap- I am SO ugly.


xxxxxxxxx