Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Once Upon a Time Wednesday

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun!  Play along if you want!

Once upon a time, when airplane travel was cool and something people didn't do all the time, people actually thought about what they would wear on the plane.


See how dressed up they were? Well that is what my family basically looked like when I took my first (one that I remember) airplane ride in 5th grade. It was like going to church. Please don't get me started on how the flight attendants gave us all sorts of cool things and treated kids like royalty. And we actually got a full, hot meal..... OK, anyway, people felt it was important to look nice on a plane.

Yesterday, K and B went to Florida with their Dad to visit Grandma and Grandpa. We have been on planes plenty of times since I was in 5th grade and I realize people don't get dressed the way they once did.

Extreme case in point: Lady Gaga.


However, when K walked out with ripped denim shorts, I had to send her back to her closet for something more presentable. She looked cute, but I couldn't let her do it. It's like wearing jeans to church for me. I cannot wear jeans to church. It is something that was not allowed when I was younger.

So will my girls think of this trip when they are in their 40's and their kids want to wear ripped jeans on their first rocket flight? I don't know, but I would like to think that my grandchildren will look presentable when they get to Mars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would the lady in Dunkin Donuts have told them they looked cute if they had ripped jeans on? I think not! Good for you S. They WILL remember this when their children are flying to Mars. Nana

Anonymous said...

I remember getting dressed up to go to Ecuador as a kid. I remember dressing in our Sunday best.

Now it really is jeans (or sweats)& a tee shirt. Nothing ripped...I always hated the idea of ripped clothes. They bug me.

But I do wear shorts to church in the summer. In fact I wear shorts everywhere when I'm not at work in summer.

Mrs4444 said...

I wish I had a plane ride to dress up for....