Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Once Upon a Time Wednesday

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun!  Play along if you want!

Once upon a time,  I went to the greatest elementary school. It was a K-6 school in the suburbs of Boston. This was a time when holiday parties were Christmas parties. I am pretty sure that there may have been a few Jewish kids in my school, but I couldn't tell you who they were. There was one parent every year who would come in and teach us about Hanukkah. We would sing the Dreidel song, play the Dreidel game and learn what the markings on each side of the dreidel meant. There was more than one jealous kid thinking that getting presents for 8 days sounded better than getting presents on one day.

The best thing of all though...... the potato latkes.



I can still smell them if I think back to the halls of my elementary school. We would cook them in the classroom in one of those plug in pans. Then we would eat them with apple sauce. They were absolutely delicious!

Happy Hanukkah to all my Jewish friends! And if you want to swing by with some potato latkes, I will supply the applesauce and sing you the dreidel song!

4 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Haha, I was that parent a few years ago, teaching my kids' friends about Hanukkah. :)

We're having our latkes on Saturday: come on over!

Dawn said...

And, my sister is that parent at her girls' school. :) (she converted before she got married.)

Kathy said...

We are having ours on Friday night and (if I do say so myself) I make excellent latkes! Fried potatoes, sour cream and apple sauce, not much is better! Though the house will smell for days!

Betty said...

Ha! My latkes are the best. Too bad I'm here and you're there.