Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Once Upon a Time Wednesday

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun!  Play along if you want!

Once upon a time.... when my brother, sister and I were little, we were welcome into our parents' bed any night.

Well, it wasn't that easy.

My parents somehow lived their whole married life (except for the past 5 years or so) in a "king" sized bed.
What that really meant was 2 twin beds tied together. Yes, they slept together for 35 or so years with a crack down the middle of their bed. Remarkable that they have 3 children, right?

If I woke up from a nightmare, I would go into my parent's room. I would get to my mom's side first and she would move over an inch and let me hang off the edge of the bed. Not very comfortable, so I wouldn't last long. I would then crawl into the middle and sleep in the crack. Seriously not very comfortable, but better than the monsters that were waiting under my bed.

With my own girls, we called it "musical beds". One girl would come in, one adult (OK, me) would leave and head to empty bed, other girl would find me in empty bed and I would have to head toward other empty bed. Get the idea? Basically it was a mystery where you would wake up. If I was too tired to get up and move beds, I would often wake up with a foot in my face and no covers.

Would I do this again? Especially when I got some flack from my mom over this issue?

Of course.

I wouldn't change a thing. Well maybe.... I would have added more pillows and blankets on my bed and ordered a California King.

3 comments:

Captain Dumbass said...

We got a king early on and it was a good decision since some days we've got three extras.

Caution/Lisa said...

This brought back a memory for me from 40 years ago! We once went to visit relatives and my aunt said my two sisters and I were going to get to sleep in the king sized bed!! Exciting! When we finally got into bed, it was two twins pushed together with a hard plastic strip down the middle between the beds. Good night. We fought all night about who was going to have to sleep on that thing.

Qoddess said...

You've been quoted!

http://qoddessquotesblogs.blogspot.com/2011/02/quotes-february-5-2011.html