Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Once Upon a Time Wednesday

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun!  Play along if you want!

Once upon a time, way back when I was in 8th grade (1980 people, do the math), my social studies teacher had all of us make a time capsule. We made it the first week of school and opened it some time during the last week of 8th grade. Well, B found it the other day and had a field day laughing at her 8th grade mom. (And yes, of course I saved it.)

Here it is, a little smelly and crumpled in an old tissue box.


Need a closer look at the smokin' hot 8th grader on the first day of school? Here you go:


1980 was during the preppy explosion. I am surprised I am not wearing 2 Izod shirts with the collars popped. Sweet chinos too, right? And to complete the look, a bag made just for me by mom.

Giggle all you want now, it gets even better. As I mentioned yesterday, I was a huge Red Sox fan. (Still am, just not fanatical). There were quite a few baseball cards in the box, a stat sheet cut from the Boston Globe from September 8,  and some magazine pictures of my favorite Red Sox. To even out my love of baseball, I also had quite a few ski racing pictures. So I was a total jock.

B pulled out a piece of string and asked why the heck I was saving a silly piece of string and I said that it was how tall I was in 8th grade. She thought that was pretty cool and immediately measured herself against it and found out that I was a good 3 inches shorter than her back then (and she's in 6th grade!).

The best things in the box were the questions I had to answer.
Name 3 people you respect:
1. Fred Lynn: I respect him because he's an awesome baseball player and someday I hope I could play as good as him. Evidently I was a dreamer in 8th grade too.
2. Ingemar Stenmark: I respect him because he's a massive skier. Someday I'm gong to win as many World Cups and Gold Medals as he did. Now that would have been something!
3. Carl Yastrzemski: I respect him because no one I know at age 41 still be playing baseball as well as he is. He is the only one I know (or seen) to make 400/3000. Smart ass B asked if that was how much money he made and I said no, those were homerun/something stats all before the steroid years.

Name 5 boys you think are cute:
Did I make up this question or did the SS teacher seriously ask us to write this? I cracked up at my answers because 3 of the 5 were "bad boys".

My 5 best friends:
Melissa Clark
Amy Potts
Carol Ventola
Kerry Lynch
Joyce Kreie
I happen to know that at least 2 of those people read my blog and  I am friends with 4 on Facebook.

Places I would like to go:
Colorado
Utah
Vermont
Switzerland
Huh? Vermont and Switzerland in the same grouping?

5 things I would like to accomplish this year:
1, Win at least 2nd place in a ski race.
2. Make the softball team.
3. Get an A in SS and English.
4. Get a B in Math/Science.
5. Go out with at least one boy.
6. Make an A+ in Gym.
Evidently I was an overachiever because I wrote 6 things instead of 5. An A+ in gym. I wonder if I reached that goal? And I did go out with one boy who was on my list of 5 boys I thought were cute for a total of 3 1/2 days. We were better as friends and had nothing to say to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend.

I may have to do this with the girls just so their children have something to laugh hysterically at years from now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! What a great find :)

Serial Swooper said...

That's priceless! I'm totally doing that with my guys someday.

Also love that you spelled Yaz (in full) properly. You WERE an over-acheiver.

Anonymous said...

OMG...I LOVE IT!!! I have a similar box--and I have no kids to leave my box to!! Some things in mine...a crystal from the "Chateau DeVille" which my date reached up and took off the chandelier at Sr. Prom. A hall pass to go to the bathroom. The wrapping paper of candy that the cutest boy in school dropped. My "box" is the heart box from a box of chocolates that my 10the grade boyfriend gave me. There's a paper in there listing from a teen magazine questions asking my top TV stars were names like Bridget Hanley, Linda Evans and Peggy Lipton! LOL!! (Dating myself to 1970.) My favorite singers were Merrill Osmond, Davy Jones and Bobby Sherman! LOL!!! (I was not a jock--but a teen idol groupie!)

A box full of memories....thanks for the reminder! I enjoyed what was found in your box, too!!!

Heather said...

I made a time capsule in 8th grade too! I wonder where mine is.. How precious were you! I guess the 80s were all about preppy back then huh? ;) ADORABLE!

Lee said...

Are those pink alligators on your belt? Really?
Lee
P.S And as it turns out, Carlton Fisk played well into his 40's, in a squat position may I add...

Pam said...

Where is your Bermuda Bag with the switchable covers?? What about your Fair Isle sweater?? That could totally be me in that picture.. I grew up on the Cape...graduated Sandwich High in '86..Good God that's a long time ago..