Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Once Upon a Time Wednesday

Once upon a time Wednesday is about things from the past. There are many stories in my head that I want to share with my girls. The trip to Ellis Island, thank you very much Liberty Mutual, this summer made me realize that I had to get these stories documented. History is extremely important and fun!  Play along if you want!

Once upon a time, we had a rotary phone in our home (it may have actually been that color). Let me bring you back.... you had to dial the phone by turning the numbers, one at a time and you could hear the little duhduhduhduh as the number reset itself.  Of course this phone was connected to the wall with a very long curly-q cord that would allow you to walk all over the kitchen.

Then we had the push button phone. That was cool! This still included the long cord too. Of course there was no call waiting, no answering machine and no caller ID. Barbaric right? This is the phone I got asked to the prom on. Wandering around the kitchen, twirling the cord, waiting patiently for a certain boy to ask me the most (or second most) important question of my life.

When answering machines came out, my mom was adamant about not getting one. She didn't see why we needed to get a message when someone called. She figured if people needed us and couldn't get us, then they should call back. Now we have voicemail instead of an answering machine.

I got my first cell phone in my 30's. My husband (at the time) had a "bag phone" which was a huge cell phone that pretty much came in a bag and he could transport it from his car to this boat. I was excited to get my cell phone and had him call me from the same room, just so I could answer it!

Since my first cell phone, I have progressed and upgraded to a Blackberry (crackberry) and of course love the fact that I can get my emails, check facebook and twitter and keep a contact list as long as my arm.

Evidently, I am already behind the times. I do not have an iphone or a droid. I have always loved Apple and have had Macs as computers for all of time, so I of course have wanted an iphone for about, forever. I would not get one though because Verizon did not have them and AT&T does not work too well on Cape Cod. Verizon has them now and I am counting the days until my next upgrade.

Guess what the iphone has that I cannot get on my crackberry? This...



Jealousy..... oh jealousy! 2 of my favorite things combined: shopping and an iphone. That's right, you can have an app on your iphone (or droid) that will scan a bar code and tell you if that product is for sale somewhere else cheaper. Seriously, why couldn't I have invented that? Other than the fact that I have no computer know how, but the idea in itself, I totally could have come up with that. It also allows you to buy it right from your iphone (or droid). Crazy.

The world has become a wild place(more and more like the Jetsons!) since I paced around my kitchen, twirling the long code, waiting for those 8 fantastic words, "will you go to the prom with me?". What ever will be next?

3 comments:

Kathy said...

We had that exact phone in almond! Personally, I hate the invention of the answering machine. I will often think of the days when you did not know who called or have the obligation to call someone back. Those were the good old days!

Heather said...

So I have a funny story-- Curt is 6 years older than me and when we first started dating, my friend Josh (who is a year younger than me) asked Curt if he had a rotary phone (since he didn't have a cell) hahahahah and now we always make fun of him! :P My Gram had a phone like that growing up though-- i loved it!

Also? I LOVE MY IPHONE. I would NEVER go to Crackberry after having this awesome phone, and you know what a blackberry whore I was! ;)

FRANNIE said...

We had that phone in Avacado.

It matched the stove, the GIANT dishwasher (that you rolled across the kichen to hook up to the sink) and the fridge.