Wednesday, February 6, 2008

30 Years Ago


Today is the 30th anniversary of the Blizzard on 1978. I was 10 years old and remember it a little bit like a photo album; like snapshots of pictures. I grew up outside of Boston in Acton and remember it snowing and snowing and snowing. Once it stopped, I was hesitantly allowed outside. I bundled up to make the trek to my best friend's house across the street. I walked out on our little covered patio and litterally jumped into/through a snowbank and wound up swimming across our yard. I looked back and my Mom, sister and brother were in the doorway watching me. I think my Dad was attempting to use our snowblower on the driveway. There had to be 4 feet of snow in spots. I made it to the road and was able to walk across the street, then started swimming up the hill to my friend Carol's house. She and her mom were in their garage waiting for me. As I was "swimming" up the driveway, I hit something hard. It was their car! Completely buried in snow at the bottom of the hill. I don't remember going back home, but I must have gone the same way I came.

At home, my mom was listening to WBZ radio. There was an announcer called Dave Maynard on the radio that my parents worshiped! He gave out a recipe for Beer Bread. Well my mom had to make it because it was snowing and when it snows you bake. Must be a genetic thing because I still do the same thing now. Anyway, all day long, she talked about how good this beer bread was going to be. It smelled delicious. It didn't taste delicious. Actually, we came to call it brick bread because you couldn't even cut into it! We still tease her about it to this day!

I just showed K and B videos on wbz4.com about the blizzard. It was pretty amazing and we haven't seen anything like it in the last 29 years. Unfortunately, many people were killed and many houses were lost on the coast. We didn't have school for a week! All that snow and no school for a week was almost as good as a Christmas present! It is certainly one snow storm I will never forget!

No comments: